Missing couple survive night lost at Thredbo

Friday Flat at Thredbo, 8am on May 28. Image taken from Thredbo's live snow cams.

Friday Flat at Thredbo, 8am on May 28. Image taken from Thredbo's live snow cams.

A couple who spent the night lost in freezing, stormy weather in the Snowy Mountains have been found.

The 62-year-old Sydney woman and 65-year-old man survived severe weather, including -10 degrees temperatures, during their night in the bush.

NSW police superintendent Rod Smith said they walked into Thredbo on Wednesday morning, safe and well.

The couple left Roslyn Lodge at Thredbo at 10am on Tuesday and were intending to walk up Friday Flat Creek towards Brindle Bull Hill, along the Dead Horse Gap, on to Alpine Way and back into Thredbo, a NSW Police spokeswoman said.

However the woman phoned triple-0 at 2.45pm on Tuesday to say they were lost.

Police had attempted to track the couple's location by mobile phone but were unable to do so, the spokeswoman said, and police had not been able to reach the woman again on her mobile phone.

Police said the pair were not equipped to spend the night in the national park, and were not believed to have been carrying an emergency beacon.

A search was launched by police on Tuesday afternoon by officers from the Monaro Local Area Command, NSW National Parks and Wildlife Services, the SES and Fire and Rescue NSW.

They searched until 2.30am on Wednesday, but had to call off the search when weather conditions deteriorated.

Electrical storms and rain halted the search, preventing a helicopter from assisting.

A NSW SES spokeswoman said members of the Queanbeyan branch joined the search early on Wednesday morning along with the specialised alpine search and rescue team.

Weatherzone meteorologist Max Gonzalez said weather conditions on the ranges would make things difficult for the missing couple.

"Since midday on Tuesday the ranges picked up 68mm of rainfall which fell steadily from 6pm," he said.

"Temperatures reached a peak of 7 degrees in the morning on Tuesday but dropped down once the rain came in the afternoon and fell to freezing overnight."

Mr Gonzalez said an extreme weather warning was issued for the Thredbo area on Tuesday although the Bureau of Meteorology cancelled the warning about 3am on Wednesday.

"West-north-westerly winds reaching up to 100km/h were recorded around 6pm on Tuesday evening and this morning winds have been gusting around 90km/h," he said.

Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide