100 years of celebration for St Joseph's Berridale

St Joseph's Catholic Church in Berridale is celebrating its centenary and Fr Peter Miller invites past and present parishioners and friends to join in on Sunday March 30 at 11am.

The principal celebrant will be Archbishop Christopher Prowse. A 'Centenary Cuppa" will follow after Mass.

For further information or to RSVP please call Pat McPhie 6456 3378 or Joy Lachetta 6456 3222

History

St Joseph's church was built on land in Mary Street donated by Berridale resident Mr E J O'Brien. The foundation stone was laid and blessed on February 2, 1914 by Rev Archbishop Kelly of Sydney. The church was then in the parish of Cooma which in turn was part of Queanbeyan.

Over the years it has been attached at various times to the parishes of Adaminaby, Cooma and Jindabyne.

St Joseph's is currently part of the Jindabyne parish of St Columbkille along with Our Lady Star of the Sea in Dalgety, St Thomas Moonbah, Mary MacKillop Chapel Thredbo and Our Lady of the Snows Perisher Valley.

With the growth in population due to the Snowy Mountains Hydro Scheme, the original church was extended in 1961 to almost double its original size.

Later additions have included a self contained flat, built to provide overnight accommodation for the priest when the parish was attached to Adaminaby and an access ramp to the side entrance of the church.

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop