Venue doubt no issue: Postecoglou

Socceroos coach Ange Postecoglou has no concerns with the uncertainty over the stadium for Australia's World Cup group match against Spain which could be removed as a venue for the tournament.

The Arena da Baixada in Curitiba has fallen well behind the deadline date for completion, originally December 31, and could be rescinded from the list of venues for this year's World Cup by FIFA, who will make a final decision by Wednesday morning, Australian time.

Reports surfaced on Monday morning that the venue had already been axed as a host city though the Football Federation of Australia denied that they had received any notice from FIFA or warning for a change in schedule.

The game's governing body will assess the renovations of the stadium over the next two days before announcing their decision to cancel all games held there.

Despite the looming logistical nightmare, Postecoglou is unfazed over the potential relocation of their third and final group match.

"I've got more important things to worry about, we'll play them in the car park if we have to, we've just got to be ready to play," he said.

"The biggest thing for me between now and the World Cup is to get the selection of players right. It's a critical phase we're in."

Postecoglou visited the stadium in December, two months after construction was temporarily suspended due to workers' safety concerns, and said the upgrade was in a seemingly advanced stage then.

"As far as we know it's still going ahead and it will still be there. When I was there in December, the stadium was almost complete so I'm really surprised that they're still having some issues," He said.

Meanwhile, veteran midfielder Mark Bresciano revealed that he was preparing to fight his four-month suspension regarding a transfer irregularity when joining Qatari club Al-Gharafa but was advised against pursuing an appeal by the Court of Arbitration for Sport. Bresciano says he was instructed that it would be in his best interest to serve the ban than run the risk of jeopardising his World Cup dream.

"I actually went for the appeal, we wanted to appeal, both player and club," he said.

"It was actually the Court of Arbitration of Sport that came back to us and rejected the stay . . . the main reason was that apart from protecting the player so you're not going to miss the World Cup, but that they don't want to put the pressure on the judge. At that hearing the judge has to make a decision. If they make a bad decision, they can make a player miss a World Cup and that's something they didn't want to put through to the judges and they said just to . . . take your suspension now . . . so you know that leading up to the World Cup you can play."

Smartphone
Tablet - Narrow
Tablet - Wide
Desktop